Thursday 20 February 2014

WITR Update

Phew.

I got my story finished and proofed and printed out before 10 pm on Wednesday. I read it out at the group today with some nerves (unusually for me) as we had three new members and two almost new members amongst us and I had a last-minute qualm about the subject matter.

I was surprised at how well it went down; they laughed in places where I hadn't expected anything more than wry smiles. Two of the three new members asked me what I was doing after - with a view to talking nuts and bolts of writing with them. But I was wiped out after an energetic and hugely fun morning spent with my friend and her children at Leeds Museum and so claimed I had to get home to cook.

I had a rubbish review of  'Fallen' on Authonomy today.  I know the reviewer meant well, and she was kind and constructive, if a little patronising. I really think there is an Atlantic Gulf, and US readers don't seem to get my MC's restrained Englishness. But I'm writing for a home audience, and so must bear that in mind when I get this kind of comment.

But ask yourselves this: If you found an injured angel in your shed, and you'd already coped with the strangeness of being insulted by him and bound up his wing, and you had the chance to go to work and escape for an hour's peace, you would, wouldn't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment