Monday 17 February 2014

Music, My Muse - the inspiration behind today's story...

For Thursday's Writers in the Rafters, I have to present a short story inspired by the song or piece of music I always play on repeat... there are a few problems with this.  Firstly, I have eclectic, if not appalling, taste in music. Secondly, I tend to obsess over a track for weeks or months and then move on. Thirdly, at the moment, there are at least three tracks where one listen is never enough... My ring tones are the theme from The Muppet Show and the theme from True Blood. See my problem?

So here is  'Kostas and Jenny', which is not only a short story, but pretty much the outline plot of my next novel...

He walked in and it felt as if all the air had been expelled from my lungs, a bear-hug contraction leaving me breathless, drowning…  Above average height, hair the colour of corn and grey eyes , irises ringed with a dark oceanic blue, a memory of pain and fortitude in their depths…  Strong and muscular, but with just a few extra pounds to soften his frame, to make him perfectly huggable, holdable.
 Yes.    I knew he was exactly right for the job. But I went through the questions, just to see how he reacted.  It would help later.
First thing was to get him talking, see what he sounded like.
I made myself breathe again and found a professional smile.  ‘Hello.  What’s your name?’
‘Kostas.  They call me Kostas.’
‘Have a seat, Kostas.  Tell me a bit about yourself?’
‘I… I don’t know how I got here.  I don’t know what you want?’
‘Don’t worry about it.’  I had his voice now, a musical tenor, clear, with lots of inflection, a touch of an accent.  The sort of voice you could listen to as if it were your favourite song. ‘When you came into the room…’ I began.
He lifted his chin to look at me, hold my gaze.
‘I didn’t expect to find myself here,’ he said.  ‘I was just going for a walk… and then there is a building, a door.  You.’
‘It’s confusing, I know.  But it’s okay, you’re safe here. Have some coffee, or tea?’
There was a tray on a low table, flanked by easy chairs. I moved across to sit, inviting Kostas to join me with a gesture.  I hope the informality would relax him.
‘Coffee, thank you.’
I poured coffee for us both, most of my attention to the brew to give him a moment’s recovery time.
The truth was I didn’t have the first idea where I pulled these people from. I just sent for them, and they arrived.  They all responded differently, none of them sure how they got here, all claiming they’d been plucked from some quiet inactivity to find themselves in my office.  I remember, years ago now, when I interviewed Rhys… he’d walked in with nonchalant curiosity, and when I’d tried to get him talking about himself, instead, he’d held me in his handsome gaze and given me an almost edible smile.
‘I do believe this sofa converts to a bed, did you realise that?’ he’d said.  ‘Care to try it?’
Of course, that bravado had landed him the job, although I hadn’t let him demonstrate my furniture’s previously-unsuspected versatility.  Rhys had done good work for me, still was, in fact.  But no-one, before or since, had ever responded quite so calmly as Rhys had. Generally, like poor Kostas, they exhibited differing levels of bewilderment.
Kostas was looking a little better now, at least.  I decided not to ask any more personal questions.  I could find out later.  I always did.
‘So, Kostas, I have something I’d like you to do.  A job, if you like…’
‘A job? But I have things to do, places I must be and…’
Of course, it didn’t matter.  He would do what I asked; he had no option, really. Once I told him, he’d find himself set on the course of action I spelled out for him.  The only thing was how much to tell him and how much to let him find out for himself.  I always felt bad, keeping anything from them.
‘There’s a young woman. She’s alone and vulnerable and she really needs a friend.  But she’s damaged, and this means she might not behave the way you expect…’
‘A girl? But I have too much to do to be friends with some girl… I’m very sorry, but I have to go now.  Thank you for coffee.’
‘Okay, Kostas.  It was nice to talk to you.  I hope it works out.’
Once he’d gone, I sighed.   I’d taken to Kostas in a way I seldom took to the people I met in here.  Perhaps I was almost a little in love with him.  And I was responsible for what came next for this quiet, calm young man with the suffering eyes, and I felt rather bad about it.  He was going to be very unhappy for a long time, all because I’d summoned him and told him he was going to meet someone.
‘Oh, Kostas!’ I found myself muttering.  ‘I’m going to do so many things with you.  Bad things, sadly.

I gave it a few minutes before considering the next applicant.
‘You’re Jenny, aren’t you? Take a seat.’
Jenny shrugged.  She had energetic red hair and washed-out blue eyes. Something about her made my spine prickle.
‘I was in my room… I do it a lot, when it all gets too much. I don’t like to be around people… I just fill up with despair and seeing other people happy just disassociates me…’
‘How are you feeling, Jenny?’
‘Good days, bad days.  I thought this was a good day, and suddenly I’m hallucinating again…’
‘No, you’re not, Jenny, you’re fine.   I asked you here because I have a job for you.’
‘Me? You do know nobody will employ me? Go off sick with stress-related depression these days, you never work again!’
Her voice was sharp, full of the knives of her past, and as she lifted a hand to push her pre-Raphaelite hair away from her face I saw traces of scarring on her wrist.  Sometimes, I really didn’t like my work.
‘Would you like a coffee, cup of tea?’
‘No, thanks. Have to watch my caffeine intake, just in case it sets me off. So, what’s this job, then?’
‘It’s just flat-sitting, really.  Full board, a small wage. Somewhere warm.’
‘Good… one of the things they say makes me ill is British winters. So dark and cold!’
‘That’s settled, then.’
‘When do I start?’
‘We’ll be in touch.  Good luck.’
*
Kostas shook his head.  He’d been walking… he’d been interviewed for a job he knew nothing about…and now he’d woken up on the beach.  At least it was a beach he recognised, at the west end of Hersonissos, and about a mile from his lodgings. The sun was setting, and the air was cool. The surf shushed at the shore.  He scrambled to his feet, suddenly aware of the bite of shingle against his feet. His sandals were beside him, and he struggled up to a nearby slipway before putting them on.
It seemed to be that odd time of day where the afternoon tourists were gone and the evening ones not out yet. It wasn’t quiet, but neither was it busy, and certainly not so busy that he didn’t notice the flame-headed woman sitting on the wall at the side of the slipway.  She was closed in, shrinking to take up as little space as she could, he thought, looking forlorn and lost as she stared down at her feet.
‘Are you okay?’ he asked softly.
The girl looked up at the sound of his gentle voice.  She looked into blue-grey eyes that held kindness and somehow made her feel safe.
‘I’m lost,’ she said.  ‘I’m starting a new job today. Only I don’t know where to go… it’s up the hill at Hersonissos, only this is Hersonissos, isn’t it? And there’s no hill…  I’ve been walking for hours…’
‘Ah.  You see, it is Hersonissos… but there is also a village, up against the mountain, which is the real Hersonissos, here before Limenas Hersonissou – the port and the resort. So, if you have the address, I can walk you to the village, as I live in Piskopiano, not far away.’
‘Would… would you do that? It’s very kind…’
‘It’s no trouble.  What is your name? I am Kostas.’
‘Jenny.  Thank you, Kostas.’
It was only when she got up that he noticed she had a suitcase with her, tucked behind her against the wall. He took hold of it, glad it had wheels and he didn’t have to offer carry it; the village was a good walk away, and all of it uphill.
They broke their journey at a small blue and white bar, halfway between the sea and the villages on the hill, drinking beer to the soundtrack of a raunchy, twangy soft rock song. Jenny offered to pay, but Kostas refused.
‘No, it is my treat.’
‘But it’s not fair… you’ve been so kind…’
‘Then meet me for lunch tomorrow, and you can buy me a drink then.’
*
I knew how it was going to end, of course. The entire story of Kostas and Jenny’s romance, of how she confided in him that she’d had her heart broken once too often and it had broken part of her mind, she thought, too.  How Kostas would try to help, to save her from her demons, and they would have some good days, some happy moments.  But, ultimately, they were doomed.  Jenny was going to die and Kostas would be left with a small daughter to bring up and a huge sense of loss.
And now all I had to do was live with the knowledge that I’d brought them together, that I was responsible.
Sometimes I really don’t enjoy being a writer.


Song: ‘Bad Things’ by Jace Everett 2005

1 comment: