Friday 1 November 2013

That Friday Feeling...

Today is the first day of National Novel Writing Month.  Those of you who know me will have suffered various degrees of inattention from me in previous Novembers as I've pushed myself to produce 50,000 words in 30 days.

It's usual for me to have little idea what I'm writing about, but it does help if I at least have a theme.  this year, I;m writing a sequel to 'Fallen' (which in itself has just reached the end of its second edit). I'm incorporating all the sub plots and themes I didn't have space for there, and introducing a new vector into the dark of the World Within...

In addition, I've still got to prepare for 100 Poets next week.  I've written my commissioned piece; a new Anthem for France, and I debut it here for you...

With apologies to any French people who might be looking on...

France National Anthem Revisited
To the tune of ‘ All Things Bright and Beautiful’…

All things French are wonderful,
All French things are divine
The bread and cheese are just superb
And don’t forget the wine.
Each bottle that you open,
Each vintage that you’ve tasted
Make for a classic hangover
To leave you feeling wasted.

The countryside is very French,
The rivers and the coast
The vineyards France personified,
‘Paree’ is French the most…
The Louvre and the Opera,
The Eiffel Tower, the Seine:
They’re beautiful in sunshine,
But dismal in the rain…

The Tour de France is brilliant
A three week cycle ride
Across the valley bottoms
And up the mountainside.
French attitudes are dubious,
French people sometimes rude
In every way, on every day
France makes England look good…

All things French are Francophile
And xenophobic, too
Let’s shut down the tunnel,

And say ‘Au ‘voir’ to you…


No comments:

Post a Comment