Sunday 17 November 2013

Sunday, Sunday...

It may seem odd, but for me, Sunday is one of the busiest days of the week.  No doubt this is because I don't go out to work and so the nine-to-five pattern doesn't exist for me in the same way it does for other people.

Instead, I work at home.  Although it feels as if I'm still in the cast-your-bread-upon-the-waters stage of my writing career, I treat writing as a job, albeit a part-time one, and aim to spend roughly 20 hours a week writing, editing, researching.  But the flexibility of not having to commute to an office somewhere means I can be plotting while I go to the shops, researching and doing the laundry pretty much at the same time; you can get a lot of stuff done in a ten minute microbreak.

My husband works full time, and visits his father on Saturday mornings with his biweekly shop (I do the midweek one) and brings the laundry back for me to tackle.  So his weekend is half a day shorter than anyone else's and as neither of us drive, everything takes that little bit longer to do.

A lot of the weekend is spent making sure everything is ready for when my beloved breadwinner returns to the fray; there is ironing and bread-making and making sure the cupboard has all the clean laundry required for the week ahead so that, in the dark mornings, he can find things easily - he gets up at stupid o'clock, and in the winter, it's very dark.

I don't do a big Sunday dinner - it's not something my husband needs, although I used to enjoy the ritual of the preparation and cooking. Instead, I do a Sunday tea, of sorts; hot cake and custard.  We try, also, to get out to the reservoir and feed the ducks.  It's also really our only time to do Home Improvements.  Today we are moving an upstairs bookcase to downstairs.  Well, I say we...  I'm documenting the event.

It's November and that means NaNoWriMo and that means almost 2000 words a day and hand failure if I type too much.  I'm a little ahead of schedule at the start of the day with 28K (par for yesterday was 26,667) but it's not going as well as I'd hoped.  My plot isn't gelling, my characters, although I like them, are not doing much out-of-the-ordinary.  It's probably a bit late in the day to scrap it and start again and, besides, it may not be riveting stuff, but I am learning about my inventions and how their view of the world works.  And I've just had an idea that may salvage it...

Don't worry, I'll be back tomorrow with the Monday storytime - in the run up to the launch of Writers in the Rafter's third anthology on Thursday, I'll bring you last years story, 'The Sanctuary at Silver Estuary.'

Enjoy your Sunday.  Hot cake and custard. Mmmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment