Friday 13 June 2014

Friday, the new Monday...?

For those who have to go out to earn a crust, the concept will bring on shudders, no doubt.  But I', talking about my lack of story-posting lately.

The thing is that I have been writing - and researching, and plotting and drafting. With my head still in fan-fiction land, I'm posting a chapter a day on a long serialisation and co-authoring a crossover story as well.

This is not an excuse. The excuse is; well, I've just been a bit lurky lately.  It happens a couple of times a year, and can pass quite swiftly.

Now, I *could* file of the serial numbers, so to speak, and post a 7K fanfic for you... or I could post another autobiographical with the theme of bicycles in mind (this is a project for Leeds Libraries, too) or give you the opening of one of my other works-in-progress...

Or I could wait until Monday and post something then.

Besides, I want to talk about yesterday, new perspectives, and long bus-rides.

The sun shone, and I went out without a coat, first time this year (except to the local shop, which doesn't really count).  I had a trip planned with a very lovely friend to Huddersfield.

Now, I've been once before, but through the place hundreds of times by train on my way to and from Merseyside.  But the only day we - my, husband, son - had ever spent there hadn't been a success.  I think we turned the wrong way when we left the train station.

Anyway, yesterday. Nearly an hour and a half on the bus from Leeds, via Bradford.  In the midst of writing an interesting chapter, so the time flew by as I imagined barely-clad, honed males sword-fighting, not *quite* sure who would win but knowing the outcome would have far greater repercussions than the sparring circle.

Yes.  A lovely way to spend an hour.

My friend S lives not far from the bus route, and joined me on the bus for the last leg.  Much fun had exploring Huddersfield (it's actually lovely, I feel I've been missing out for all these years...), shopping, dispensing dodgy fashion advice... I even bought a pattern and intend to try my hand at dress (in this case, top) making again.

Today I will prepare the pattern.  I will decide which size is most appropriate and cut it accordingly.  I will refold into its original creases and I will check whether or not I have enough interfacing.  I will look at my small stock of fabric and (probably) decide that I would look less than fetching in the black fabric with printed vegetables - the same I made kitchen curtains from - and that I really need to buy more.  I will then plan exactly what I need.

And time will pass and the world will turn.  Eventually I will get to Leeds, and possibly even to the market or to Samuel Taylor's where I will dither and feel shy and embarrassed and worry that I might be turning into my mother.  But I WILL buy fabric.

But for now, I want to find two elastic bands so I can crochet a pair of matching elf earwarmers to show to my eFriend from Kent who writes so beautifully on Archive of Our Own  under the name of Telemachus.

I write there, too, as Wynja2007, so if you're really desperate for a fiction-fix, and you like the world of Lord of the Rings, you could have a look there.  And even if you're not, 'The Gift' is so written that you don't need to know the world to understand it.

So that's it.

Oh, one last thing... my dear S... I have sunburn on the back of my neck.  Maybe we sat too long over lunch?  Worth it, though.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, well perhaps we should have switched seats half way through????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or maybe I should grow my hair a little...? :)

    ReplyDelete