Friday 18 October 2013

Alterations...

One of my friends claims that housework does not come naturally to her.  Nor to me. At the moment, I'm hampered by the fact that I bruised the heads of my ribs and so driving a heavy vacuum cleaner across the grain of our very thick pile carpet is impossible.

Added to that, we're in confusion anyway. Our friend C (in future to be referenced as OFC) has come over to help us with some alterations.  Two wall lights, one in each alcove of the dining room. are being decommissioned and capped off so we can bring a bookcase down from upstairs... and this entails selling one of my treasured glass display cabinets.

How I ended up with three of the things is a long story.  I've owned one of them three, a lovely Deco piece, for about thirty years, but needed something when I sold my fish tanks to fill the void left by no aquariums.  Now, with the plan of moving the bookcase, we need the alcove free again.

So everything is all over the place and therefore my mood is, too.  OFC is a really kind friend, but he's not easy. he's deaf, and has some unique perspectives, but he's also the kindest person we know.

Presently, there is a defunct light fitting on the other sofa.  The second is on the WiiFit board.  The contents of my soon-to-be-on-Ebay glass case are on the dining table.  And in the Deco glass case, jostling for position with my Cow Parade figures... some of which are also soon to be on Ebay; I'm culling the herd, just a little.

My OH has got the day off to 'help', and I'm supplying him and OFC with tea, ignoring the scary noises (and there are too many scary noises) and trying to keep out of the way...

Other alterations...

I'm currently editing a short story I've written for the end-of-year anthology, probably to be called 'In Sight of Fallen Walls'.  It's an odd little thing, it didn't turn out at all the way I'd intended it to; it's rather darker and more substantial than I expected, and has taken me into some unusual research along the way.  I like it, though.  It was well-received at 'Writers in the Rafters' on Thursday.

And WITR is subject to alterations of its own.  Our meeting room had been booked by another group so we'll either have to change day or change rooms.  Nothing is ever simple.

On a lighter note, we're meant to be going out for tea tonight... if IFC remembers he's promised to take us!

No comments:

Post a Comment